Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Mockingjay (A guest post)

This is a guest post by my good friend Heather! She so kindly gives us an inside look at her decision about whether or not to buy the e-book or the hardback of Mockingjay. Thanks Heather!

_____________

As you may have heard, the third book in Suzanne Collins’ Hunger Games trilogy (written for young adults), entitled Mockingjay, was released this morning at 12:01 a.m., to be specific.

Now, I’m in my twenties, but I gotta say that I’m beyond psyched about Mockingjay. I need to know: Will Katniss lead the resistance that seems to be forming around her? What is up with District 13 and will it be the haven to Kat & Co. that Earth always seemed to the Colonials in Battlestar Galactica? And last but certainly not least, will Katniss choose her best friend and fellow hunter, Gale, or the boy who’s loved her from afar for years? I know what I’m hoping for (Team Gale ftw!), but what’s yours?

Amid all this anticipation, I had to make a choice--run out to the local B&N after work today, pre-order from Amazon and hope it arrived on time (after all, you don’t want to risk getting spoiled!), or pre-order the e-book from Kindle on my iPhone? Just for the sake of convenience (not to mention the good price), I ordered from Amazon. But when I learned that it wouldn’t arrive until later in the week (at which time I would be out of the country on vacation), I had to go for the e-book as well. I do still want a physical copy, but I must say that the ability to start reading at 12:01 today was worth it to me. And the best part? I’ve only paid $16 for both. Nice.

How are you getting your copy (or copies) of Mockingjay?

1 comment:

  1. Library for me--I can't wait!

    I have to say that for something I was planning to buy and read the instant it came out (as I did the last three Harry Potter books), I'd be torn. Download and start reading at 12:01 am or just get it day-of and read it all in one go? I'd want a physical copy regardless, I think--I don't actually have an e-reader, so it's a moot point for me. Occasionally I consider it, especially when I look at the bookshelf threatening to overflow again, but when it comes down to it, books win, for me. :)

    ReplyDelete